Thursday, June 11

[Review] Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) - Becca Fitzpatrick

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Original Title: Hush, hush
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 13th, 2009
Finished Date: April 5th, 2015
Pages: 391
Read in: English

Synopsis

A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE
Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.
Source: GoodReads


Final Rating:  out of 5

I would like to start by saying that I do not wish to be offensive  but as you can see I really did not like this book. Therefore, I'll try my best to warn others about what I thought, so that they won't be disappointed and don't spend money in a book that they might not like. You are welcome to defend the book if you so wish.
Now that you are warned I have to say I do not understand people. This piece of crap novel has a 4.01 rating on GoodReads, which is unfathomable to me. I expect great things of novels that have these kind of ratings.
This is a sexist, abusive story, and it certainly does not deserve all the hype surrounding it.


The following extended review contains spoilers
If you have not yet read the book and/or do not wish to be spoiled, please do not read any further.

There is so much wrong with this book I honestly don't even know where to start.
First of all, what is up with all these YA paranormals and biology class? It seems everything happens at biology class.
I have to mention the stupidity of the main character. I mean honestly. In the first chapter alone she realised something was not quite right with this guy, but she becomes intrigued. And when she thought he was trying to kill her and stalking her, did she do something? No, of course not, he is swoon-worthy, why on earth would she get a restraining order?
«His smile wasn't friendly. It was a smile that spelled trouble. With a promise.»


Taylor? Is that you?
Seriously though, I cannot express my entire disgust for these characters. All of them.
Her best friend was a bitch. A bullying mean girl of a bitch. And we are supposed to care and like her because she's fat. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fat people. I was a bit put-out though that Ms. Fitzpatrick thought to present such a horrible character and have the fact that she was fat presented as a sort of explanation for her behaviour. Honestly, I thought it was all extremely offensive.
Another thing I would like to point out is the absent parent cliché. This seems to be a recurring theme in YA novels, and I'm seriously tired of it. Why do things always happen to people with single parents who are always working? I get it, it's convenient and it solves a lot of writing problems, but is it realistic? I don't really think so.
I'm reading through my notes as I write this review and I'm getting more and more annoyed at the protagonist. I have a huge number of passages underlined that are basically some form of this line:
«(...) something about Patch wasn't right. Something about him wasn't normal. Something wasn't... safe.»
I mean, if I get this feeling from someone, I'm going to run like hell. I'm not going to call them and engage them in conversation and putting myself in risky situations just because he's hot.
This book is basically telling young girls that it's completely alright to have someone be abusive and to tolerate stalkish behaviour if the guy is hot. What kind of message is that?
Nora is a freaking pathetic little girl described as a courageous and independent young woman. Well I have news for you Nora, no matter how independent and strong you say you are, your actions say otherwise. And it's actions you want to look for, not words.
I'm not even going to go into the horrible class scenes, or the horrible plot as a whole, there is too much wrong with this book. This review would have been a beast if I did.
Basically, by the end of the book, I felt like ripping my hair out one by one would have been more productive and could have been made into a better story than this.



I felt like Harry. Only it didn't matter how much I told Nora and Vee and Patch to shut up -  they still wouldn't. It only made my family look at me weirdly.


Did you read this book? What did you think? Let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment