Monday, June 8

[Review] Saphire Blue (Precious Stone Trilogy, #2) - Kerstin Gier

Author: Kerstin Gier
Original Title: Saphirblau
Publisher: Henry Holt
Release Date: October 30th, 2012 (December 1st, 2009)
Finished Date: April 2nd, 2015
Pages: 362
Read in: English

Synopsis
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.
At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.
Source: GoodReads


Final Rating: ★★ out of 5

I can't even explain how much of a disappointment this story turned out to be. I was expecting it to be more of an intricate and overall serious plot than it actually was. You can see here that I actually really loved the first book, as I saw incredible potential for an awesome development of the story - the world building was quite sound and the characters were very interesting. Meaning, it could have been awesome. But it wasn't. Why?
It felt, quite honestly, like the actual time travelling plot did not matter much after all. This book was much more focused on romantic drama. And I was not expecting that at all. It seemed to me like a middle grade romance, and that was not what I signed up for.
If you keep that in mind and/or you are just looking for something light and fun to read, you might enjoy this. It really is funny.

The following extended review contains spoilers
If you have not yet read the book and/or do not wish to be spoiled, please do not read any further.

Okay, first things first, I don't care what people seem to think, Gideon is a jerk.
And all Gwen seemed to do during the whole thing was sigh and marvel in his beauty like a pathetic lovestruck 12 year-old, when they've known each other for less than a week. Talk about insta-love.
«He pushed a curly strand of brown hair back from his forehead, and I instinctively held my breath. Oh God, he looked terrific! Those green eyes, the curve of his lips, the pale skin - everything about him was just perfect.»
People, this goes on and on and on. I was rolling my eyes throughout the whole book. 

Plus, it still doesn't really explain how this time-travelling paradox actually works in this story! Gwen started asking about it, and got conveniently interrupted by Falk. I was very interested in knowing how it all works out, especially since when they go back in time, they must be changing things right? Like when Lucy and Paul told them to invest in Apple,  when technology wasn't even a thing yet, wouldn't that have changed something?

Something I also did not get at all was Cynthia. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she a bully in the first book? Why was she so worried for Gwen's well-being when she thought she was not eating on a starvation diet? And she invited her to her party... Did anyone else find this strange?

The one thing that did make it worth it, in my eyes was Xemerius. I loved him, he's awesome. I can't even really explain it. All the side characters are very well developed, but Xemerius, James and Lesley make my top.
Xemerius always said what I was thinking and it made Gwen's rantings about Gideon sound even more ridiculous.
«"Girls always have to be so dramatic!" said Xemerius. "The boy's in a bad temper, looks grouchy because someone hit him on the head, and you think it's the end of the world." 
"It's because he doesn't love me," I said desparingly.»
And then there is the Gwenny thing. The fact that everyone seemed to call her Gwenny made her seem even more childish than she already sounded. I don't think this was the effect Ms. Gier was looking for, but that was what I felt.
Although honestly I couldn't blame Gwen much for her decisions and her lack of general care about what was going on since no one thought to explain it to her. She had dropped in this world literally a week before, and no one thought it necessary to explain how things work? This just made the plot seem incredibly farfetched and unconvincing to me.
«If no one could be bothered to explain any of these rules to me, or the reasons for them, they couldn't really be surprised if I didn't keep them.»
I did like the prophecy that suggested Gwen was to die soon. It gave the plot an interesting turn from all the romance.
«In the death of the sun what's amiss will then mend, 
While the raven, in dying, discloses the end.»
By the end I was really annoyed with Gwen. She spent the whole book making moon-eyes at Gideon and proclaiming her love for him every few pages and in the end, the Count says he's faking and she just believes it? How can she not give him a bit more credit than that and let him give her a full explanation? It was overly dramatic and I did not care for it at all.

What did you think? Let me know :)

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly where you're coming from. I absolutely loved the first and I was so excited for this one but it turned out to be a major disappointment. I hated Gwen and Gideon together, oh my god. It's so instant-love-y you're so right. I don't get how people like them as a couple, I just feel like the story shouldn't have played out in such a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I just wanted more of the time-travelling business and less lovey-dovey overly dramatic "romance". I'm glad you agree, my opinion isn't very popular. Most people loved this book, I just don't get why.

      Delete